Saturday, January 11, 2003

I realised that my favourite songs are very specifically tailored to a certain mood.

Like how when I'm very stressed, I listen to Underworld's Born Slippy, U2's With or Without You and Radiohead's Street Spirit.

When I'm angry and need to work off a lot of emotion, then it's Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit, Linkin Park's In the End and Crawlin', Smashing Pumpkin's Bullet with Butterfly Wings and most definitely, Godsmack's Whatever.

When I'm lonely, it's Expose's I'll Never Get Over You (Getting Over Me), Sarah McLachlan's Angel, Savage Garden's Crash and Burn and the two break-up classics, Everything but the Girl's I Don't Want To Talk About It and Sinead O'Connor's Nothing Compares to You.

The songs I'd choose for my significant other would be:
  • Selena - Dreaming of You

  • Vonda Sheperd - I Only Want To Be With You

  • Dan Fogelberg - Longer

  • Extreme - More than Words

  • The Bangles - Eternal Flame

  • Roxette - Almost Unreal

  • Shawn Colvin - Never Saw Blue Like That
  • - Gentle, sweet melody. Simple piano playing and fantastic lyrics that capture how the feeling of being in love is like. It also helps that my favourite colour is blue.
  • Aerosmith - I Don't Want To Miss A Thing

  • Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight

    They may be the same songs that I've chosen for all of the special people in my life, but the emotion and intent is still there.

    And the list of songs which I'm a little hesitant to put online would be my... mood music. I've never had a chance to use it but if you must know, the songs which I would most like to hear when setting the atmosphere would be...
  • Matchbox 20 - 3 a.m.
  • U2 - With or Without You - A powerfully emotive song; it just really gets me.

  • Paula Cole - Feelin' Love - A very sensual and erotic song. Just take a look at the lyrics.

  • Meredith Brooks - What Would Happen... - Very sexy. "What would happen if we kissed? Would your tongue slip past my lips? Would you run away?" 'Nuff said.

  • Santana feat. Rob Thomas - Smooth - Rob Thomas has an amazingly sexy voice, and Santana has the most incredibly sexy guitar style.

  • Chicane feat. Marie Brennan - Saltwater - Very atmospheric. Starts off soft, then builds up to be very sensual and atmospheric.

  • Delerium feat. Sarah McLachlan - Silence - A tune in the same vein as the above-listed one.

  • Godsmack - Voodoo (a definite!) - This is a very primal song. With the tribal drum beat and hypnotic bassline, it stirs the primitive instincts in me. Rrrrrowl.

  • Basement Jaxx - Get Me Off - Well duh. Basement Jaxx come up with really good songs that just call out to the primal savage in you.


  • These next songs are more for after the deed's been done and you're relaxing:
  • Sneaker Pimps - Six Underground - Very smooth and subtle.

  • Mazzy Star - Fade Into You - As mentioned in an earlier post, good for easing into gentle intimacy, or for after the fact.

  • Faithless - Don't Leave - A sweet, gentle song.


  • *Giggles* It's such a silly list. I'll never get the chance to use this, and it's not as if I'll just whip out these songs when it looks like something is going to happen and put them on... I wonder why I ever have such a list? *sighs* Wish I could use this though... it would be awesome, to say the least. But, unfortunately, these would probably only work on someone with the same tastes as I have, and my tastes are pretty eclectic.

    No comments: