Saturday, January 18, 2003

I've just finished watching the first half of Unfaithful and I have got to say while Olivier Martinez isn't especially hot in real life, he is smokin' in the movie. He's got shoulder-length black hair, he speaks with a sexy French accent, he likes poetry and he acts on impulse, rather than thinking things through (why the last is a turn-on is because I tend to think everything through rather than actually do anything). Man, can he seduce! That scene when he's taking off her coat and strokes her neck was such a turn-on (Now that I think about it, I found the scene in Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain where Mathieu Kassovitz is touching Audrey Tautou's neck and going "wooooo..." in her ear during the ride through the haunted house just as... arousing. Yes, I know, another sexy Frenchman. Yum.).

Diane Lane's acting was fantastic - especially the much-talked about scene when she's riding home on the train, feeling both the guilt of having cheated on her husband and the sheer-ecstasy of a fantastic, shall we say, session between the sheets. One moment laughing, the next moment crying, at some moments doing both, clearly wracked by guilt but not quite regret. Awesome.

Needless to say, the sex scenes weren't too bad. Not too explicit (I know some viewers have complained that they weren't explicit enough but really, I prefer subtlety), filled with passion, spontaneity and unpredictability. On the whole, rather erotic.

And I've read some comments that it's never quite explained why she cheats on her husband, especially since their marriage is a happy one, and she has a kid. As I am currently in a frame of mind that isn't quite like my usual rational one, I just feel that sometimes it doesn't have to be explained. Sometimes, you just want to do something, consequences be damned. You can have all the things in the world you could ever want, but when something or someone disrupts your equilibrium, maybe, just maybe, you'll end up doing something that doesn't fit with your life, your character. And yes, you could end up risking everything for no reason at all. It's stupid, it's reckless and it goes completely against common sense, but whoever said everything had to make sense?

Be happy for this moment, this moment is your life - The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

No comments: