Tuesday, January 14, 2003

You know what was weird?

I've had a really long day today with my throbbing near-headache becoming a real headache so I opted to go back at the time I knocked off rather than stay back and finish up or do extra work like I usually do.

Despite all that, while walking home, I actually really believed in myself - in everything I'm supposed to be capable of doing. Anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely hate being told that I have potential. To me, potential doesn't mean anything. All it indicates is that you're an underachiever, a failure. And all my life, I've been told that I have the "potential to do better." Of course I know I have the potential. There's got to be something in me that made me able to get into all the educational institutions I've been through... right?

On another note, another one of my friends is getting married. I am astounded. I mean, we're so young, and I, personally, don't see marriage as any part of my plan for the next ten years at least. At the same time, I do feel really envious. To meet someone you love enough that you want to spend the rest of your life together? Call me traditional and conservative if you will, but that sounds very good to me. To have someone who you can share all your problems with, and conversely help share the problems of... to have someone to hug you at the end of every difficult day... to have someone to really really believe in you. That would be the most wonderful thing I could think of right now.

What happened to my usual cynicism?

No comments: