Sunday, April 06, 2003

I've just finished reading Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho. This is the third of his books that I've read, the first two being Glamorous and The Rules of Attraction. I have got to say that I don't see what's so fantastic about his writing. I don't understand his books at all. They seem (or at least for Glamourous and American Psycho) to be filled with an inordinate amount of violence and sex, and seem to be about people who are either living a life of utter and complete weirdness or have no grasp of reality whatsoever. I haven't figured it out yet. While some people might point out that therein lies the genius of his writing, I'm going to have to argue that just because there's no coherence in his writing, and just because readers haven't a clue as to what's going on with the main characters, it doesn't make Ellis a great writer. American Psycho did have some pretty good lines, but sadly, the whole was not greater than the sum of its parts.

I mean, if you want to read a novel about Americans leading weird lives, Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club is so much better. Now that was a good book with a definite unexpected twist. It was also a pretty good movie, unlike American Psycho.

No comments: