Saturday, May 10, 2003

I watched Talk to Her by Pedro Almodóvar (Spanish title: Hable con Ella). It was a pretty good film, if a little strange. But then, this having been my third Almodóvar film, I think it's safe to assume that most of his films tend to be a little convoluted and strange anyway. And seeing that it is a foreign film, I'm beginning to think that what makes a foreign film isn't the fact that it's in Spanish/French/German/Mandarin, etc. but just the fact that it's eccentric, and even intellectual.

The show focusses on the stories of two men - Benigno and Marco - who are in love with two comatose women, Alicia and Lydia respectively. The essential difference between Benigno and Marco, I feel, is that the former is living in a fantasy world, a world of his own making, refusing to see reality, whereas the latter has lived. Marco has travelled, he has had previous serious relationships, heck, he's even been with the woman he loves for the past couple of months. Benigno, on the other hand, has only watched Alicia from afar, before pretty much following her home. Despite B's somewhat harmless stalkeresque behaviour, his character unnerved me. I don't like quietly harmless psychotic characters - they kind of remind me of me! (Kidding, not really, it's just that quiet psychopaths creep me out, that's all.) The relationship between the two men is nice and the two interact well. I like that even though Benigno commits a rather heinous act - raping Alicia when he loses control of his passion after watching an amusing yet disturbing silent movie entitled The Shrinking Lover about the 'adventures' of a man who shrinks to a size so small that after being reunited with his lover, he enters her forever - Marco still remains his friend, even to the extent of rushing back from Jordan when he realises his friend has been imprisoned and getting him a new lawyer.

I guess, in the end, the show was really about two lonely people - Marco, because he was still grieving over his break-up with his lover ten years before, and Benigno, because he has never really experienced life, having had to take care of his mother for the past fifteen years even since he was little. It's probably not one of the better Almodóvar shows, but it's not bad either. I've heard that Live Flesh (Carne Trémula) is supposed to be the Almodóvar show to see, but as I haven't seen it, I can't comment. I've only watched All About My Mother (Todo Sobre Mi Madre) and The Flower of Her Secret (La Flor De Mi Secreto).

It probably wasn't a great day for me to watch the show because today has been a rather lonely day for me too, and lonely days, I don't really want to be with people. I'd really rather be around really good friends, and a lot of them aren't in the same country as I am right now. But fortunately, after having some drinks (non-alcoholic) with my friends and laughing about silly things, my mood changed and I'm happier now.

No comments: