Wednesday, June 25, 2003

I've finally managed to watch Ghost. Despite the fact that I find the special effects a little cheesy (Yes, I do know it was made in 1993) and that I don't find any of the actors good-looking or attractive, it is a rather romantic movie. I've been wanting to watch this for a while because of the pottery scene, as well as for the parts where Unchained Melody were played, as I do like the song. After viewing the show, these are my impressions: The pottery scene - sensual and sexy. I'm more than a little irritated that the television station decided to censor part of it though. And the choice of song was wonderful; it conveyed the sense of yearning and longing of Sam (Patrick Swayze) perfectly. The acting wasn't too bad. Despite the lack of variety of facial expressions on Patrick's part, he somehow managed to convey what he was feeling in each scene just with his eyes, whether it was anger, love or extreme yearning. Demi Moore as Molly didn't have to do much other than look sad and/or cry, quite frankly.

The other scene which caught my attention was the one where Sam inhabits Oda Mae's (Whoopi Goldberg) body so that he can feel Molly once more. The look on Sam's face when he can actually touch Molly was good, capturing longing, hunger, relief and regret all in one look. It was so powerful that you found yourself experiencing the same kind of feelings. I liked the movement of both Sam and Molly as well; not awkward but graceful and loving. It was a tender scene filled with emotion and I found myself fighting back tears when I watched it. But then, I tend to tear quite easily when watching shows...

It just seems apt to end off a short commentary on a movie about undying love with one of my favourite Biblical quotes:

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can floods drown it.

Song of Solomon 8:7

No comments: