Sunday, December 14, 2003

Watched the extended version of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers yesterday, which clocked in a an incredibly long 222 minutes. Still, it didn't feel as it was was over three-and-a-half hours long. Unlike the first time I watched the show, there were times I felt a little bored, but then, there was a reason why the 42 minutes were edited out in the initial screening in the first place.

The extended version contained more scenes showing the interaction of Gollum/Smeagol, Sam and Frodo, which was kind of boring. All it did was show that a) Frodo pities Gollum and as a result, is kind to him and b) Sam doesn't trust Gollum and dislikes him. There were also more scenes showing the interaction between Merry, Pippin and Treebeard, which was pretty good, since most of the scenes were pretty light-hearted and took the edge off the severity of the situations the various members of the Fellowship were in. I especially enjoyed the discussion between the hobbits and Treebeard about why there were no Entlings around.

Also included were scenes of Theodric, son of Theoden, King of Rohan. Given that we really only saw Theodric being retrieved from the battlefield with a belly wound, all the actor playing Theodric had to do was lie still and play dead. I really pity him. How on earth are you going to put that on your acting resume? In addition, we were treated to more details regarding the development of the relationship between Eowyn and Aragorn, in which we saw ?owyn's feelings towards Aragorn clearly increase with every interaction between them. - An interesting flashback sequence showing the relationship between Boromir, Faramir and their father, the king of Gondor (which I think will be pretty useful for those planning to watch The Return of the King)

Did I enjoy the second viewing? You betcha! Aragorn is still as hot as I thought all those months ago, and I spent the entire 222 minutes falling in love with him once again. In the words of the people from Television Without Pity - Aragorn is so my boyfriend. Legolas is not bad either. I'd do them both... but not the actors who play them.

Quotes I loved:

Aragorn: You have some skill with a blade.
Eowyn: Women of this country learned long ago that those without swords can still die upon them. I fear neither death nor pain.
Aragorn: What do you fear, milady?
Eowyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.
Aragorn: You're the daughter of kings. A shield maiden of Rohan. I do not think that will be your fate.

(When Aragorn has just returned to Helm's Deep, after everyone thought he had died in the battle with the war wolves)
Legolas: Le ab-dollen. (Elvish: You're late.)
Legolas pauses and looks at Aragorn's wounds.
Legolas: You look terrible.

Eowyn: My Lord Aragorn, they would have me lead the women and children into the caves. Let me fight at your side.
Aragorn: This is not something that is up to me to command.
Eowyn: You do not command those to stay with you. They fight with you because they would not be parted from you! Because they love you! I am sorry.

(At the end of the battle, when Legolas and Gimli are discussing their final battle kill count)
Legolas: 42.
Gimli: Not a bad figure at all. I, however, am standing tall at 43.
Legolas nocks an arrow to his bow, and shoots the Uruk-Hai corpse that Gimli is sitting on.
Legolas: 43.
Gimli: He was already dead!
Legolas: He was twitching.
Gimli: He was twitching because my axe is buried in his head! (Yanking on the axe and making the body twitch even more.)

No comments: