Monday, January 19, 2004

Come Thursday, January 22nd, and it'll be the start of a brand new year - the Chinese New Year, that is! And this one's a special one for me - it'll be the Year of the Monkey - my year, something that occurs every twelve years, so this'll be my second one, and the only one worthy of note thus far.

I've been told by more than a few people that this year will not be a good year for Monkeys. Being Catholic, and therefore not permitted to believe in things such as astrology (Chinese or otherwise), I naturally scoff at such warnings. Besides, seeing as there're six billion people in this world, that would mean at least 500 million other people will have a bad year too. So there.

So, what does being a Monkey mean? According to various sources, Monkeys are intelligent, ingenious, sociable and charming. In fact, they're tricksters. And they're so full of charisma that even after you've been tricked, you can't help but like them anyway. They have excellent memories (which I do have) and they're also a little lazy, and dislike hard work (correct so far). Fortunately, Monkeys are also lucky and will have success in anything they do.

Okay, now that's just pushing it.

In love, they're very sexual and seductive. Monkeys prefer the thrill of the chase, but once they've obtained their object of pursuit, they lose interest easily and move on to the next target. Basically, they're not one for commitment.

This sounds exactly like me. Maybe not really the first statement (darn!) but the rest of it does describe how I've been feeling I broke up with the ex. And I'm not trying to make some obscure, deliberately vague description fit me. If you've been reading this blog, you can tell that I've been having a slight problem with commitment in that I have no wish to commit to a relationship to anyone right now, despite still wanting a boyfriend.

Although I do have an issue with the signs which I'm supposed to be most compatible with - the Rat and the Dragon. This implies that I'm supposed to be compatible with someone who's either four or eight years younger/older than I am. I mean, at my age, those differences are more than a little substantial. And in any case, I know too few people born in these years to be able to tell. Interestingly enough, all of my ex-boyfriends, plus the people who I've been interested in, have almost always been Goats.

In any case, if you're interested in finding out more, you can check this site out.

No comments: