Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Thanks to the Don't Lose The Music campaign against hearing loss caused by exposure to loud music, I've become paranoid about my hearing, especially since there's been a ringing in my ears ever since the UNKLE gig in March earlier this year. In light of Zouk's November line-up, I've gone online, visited the Earplug Super Store and purchased a pair of UltraTech-16 earplugs, which provide an effective noise reduction of about 25db across the audible spectrum.

However, I'm slightly worried about whether the level of hearing protection I've selected is too high (!) and so, I've e-mailed the shop asking what they think and to send me a pair of ER-20 Hi-Fi ear plugs instead, which provide an effective noise reduction of 20db across the spectrum and are US$4 cheaper than the UltraTechs. As international delivery is estimated to take between 7 - 14 days and they'll only be mailing out my order within 72 hours, I'm really hoping I'll get them before Danny Tenaglia's marathon set. If not, I'll have to rely on my usual neon orange disposable earplugs.

Other sites which provide high-fidelity earplugs are:
Etymotic Research (United States)
ACS Hearing Protection (United Kingdom)
Richer Sounds (United Kingdom)

No comments: