Thursday, June 02, 2005

"Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike."
- Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Just got put to work on something else after working like mad on an incredibly big project. I did tell my boss that I needed a break after my current project and he said, "I don't get a break. Why should you?"

There are far nicer, far better ways to respond to an obviously exhausted, discouraged, currently indispensable employee who is clearly thinking about leaving. Especially when the response is coming from someone who gets paid at least ten times the amount I do without putting in even 10% more than I do.

Would an "I appreciate your hard work, but I really need you to do this" have cost that much to say?

And yet, I find myself still trying to do the best job I can. Why is that? I blame my bloody work ethic.

No comments: