Saturday, October 22, 2005

Apparently, not having any alcohol in three weeks makes your alcohol tolerance go way down. And drinking on an almost empty stomach two nights in a row was most definitely not the brightest of ideas. So, a slightly hungover me (after a colleague's farewell drinks on Thursday night) went to Zouk's opening and drank copious amounts of alcohol (seven drinks coupons' worth in addition to some beer at the pre-clubbing session), left early at 1.45 am or so, walked back home, opened the door to my home... and the next time I remember is waking up in my bed at 5.30 am dressed in a T-shirt, apparently having managed to get only one of my contact lenses out. Yes, my memories of the last few hours are most definitely more than a little hazy.

Anyway, the main point of this post was to talk about Zouk, so I'll get on to it without any further digressions.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm impressed with the new Zouk. The soundsystem in the main room is good, while Phuture looks really flashy now, with an LED screen, a new bar and the fancy looking octopus chair inside. The igloo effect out in the corridor is a nice touch as well. But the main entrance to the club itself reminds me of the inside of a mushroom. "Looks a little like Zouk KL," remarked a friend, who was unhappy that Zouk would now look as if it were the sister club instead of the original. The main room looks pretty much the same. The toilets are now very much nicer, though, which is a good thing, even if they've been redone in the style of DXO's toilets, or as I said, "all of the big clubs in London." It is a nice style, so I don't mind if they're copying it as the previous version wasn't all that nice to begin with.

And, I have learnt, that it probably wasn't a good idea for me to go back to Zouk so soon, no matter how avid a clubber and how enthusiastic a Zoukette I am. Before Zouk closed, I used to spend pretty much every weekend there with T., and even before we got together, I'd still see him there. I guess it was a little too early, and perhaps because my hormones are such that I've been a little sensitive this whole week (guys, this is truly a girl thing which sometimes, we don't have that much control over), but during the pre-clubbing session at a friend's place, I found myself feeling a combination of lonely and missing T.. This was quickly alleviated by my drinking three drinks or so when I got to Zouk but unfortunately, exacerbated by the time I finished half my jug of Vodka sprite. Guess I overshot the optimal amount of alcohol to have when you're still on the tail end of mending a broken heart... which was demonstrated not only by my sending an SMS which I am now regretting (I wonder how on earth I managed to send that because I was so not in any capacity to have intellectual conversation, much less type such a long, clearly comprehensible SMS out) and by that long walk back home of which I have hazy memories of myself just crying most of the way back.

By the way, I actually am fine. I just have the occasional relapse. I acknowledge that I tend to take a long time to get over people, but I'm also not the kind of wallow in sadness and depression.

No comments: