Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Michael Buble was great last night. I found him to be talented, friendly, sincere and funny. As I was all alone at the concert, I half-expected to find myself feeling melancholy and lonely, but thankfully, that wasn't the case. In fact, when he sang two of my favourite songs, You Don't Know Me and Home, I just sat there, swaying, eyes half-closed with a silly, contented smile stuck on my face.

Michael was also warm and interacted with the crowd quite a bit, at one stage, dashing down from the stage to run all the way up to the other end of the stadium, because he felt sorry for them as the stage was so far that he must look like an "ant" to them (and me, seeing as that was where I was sitting).

He kicked off the show with Feeling Good and I must say that his rich baritone played arpeggios (if that's the right word) up and down my spine. If I'd been dancing the blues with him, by the end of the song, I would have been begging him to take me. That's how hot and sexy he sang it. Right after that, he turned up the tempo by launching into Sway, a song which the crowd clearly loved. I enjoyed it too though I prefer the Pussycat Dolls' version.

One of the more amusing parts of the night was when he thanked all of us for coming, especially the men, who he guessed would much rather have stayed home watching television. However, as he put it, if he and his band did their job right, then all they'd be doing is "putting the air in the tires and [the men] could ride them all night". Heh. Later on, when he told us that he didn't mind us taking photos, not only did he and his band pose, he and another band member then decided to "act like sexy tigers who would attack the cameras" (said in dodgy Dutch accent). I laughed pretty hard at that.

But the funniest part of the night had to be when he declared he hated singing standards and wanted to try something new. First, he launched into an operatic version of I Will Survive, before stopping after two lines. Then, he sang This Love, sounding exactly like Adam Levine from Maroon 5 and ended off with the first verse of Billie Jean - sounding like Michael Jackson!

Towards the end of the concert, he asked all of us to get up and shake our little "money makers", that is, if we wanted to, of course. I was sorely tempted to when I heard his Latinised version of Save The Last Dance For Me (has it always had such a Latin beat?) but, being all alone, and having my bags to look after, I decided against it.

The concert was an hour and a half long, including the encore which consisted of Crazy Little Thing Called Love and A Song For You. While we all knew he had a strong voice, Michael demonstrated it by singing the last verse of A Song For You without the microphone and I could hear him loud and clear from where I was sitting, even though I was seated quite far away.

At the end of the night, even though I had to wait more than half an hour to get onto the bus, there was still a silly smile on my face, with Home playing in my head. I hadn't been genuinely happy in a while and the concert was well worth the money I paid just for the effect it had on me.

No comments: