Sunday, February 05, 2006

Most of the time, the songs I'm listening to will tell you a lot about the mood I'm in. One of my favourite memories about my former housemates in university is the time I was studying for my last exam paper for the year after a particularly difficult exam and was playing two songs on repeat such that one of my housemates knocked on my door to ask me if everything was all right, so familiar was she with the songs I listened to whenever I was frustrated or unhappy. Her exact words were, "I heard you listening to With or Without You and Sweet Child Of Mine five times in a row and wanted to check if you were doing okay." While the songs weren't helping me out that much (usually twice is enough to snap me out of any funk), her comment was so sweet that I couldn't help but laugh and that brought me out of that mood.

But of course, I'm staying at home now and there isn't anyone around who knows my musical tastes well enough to be able to tell you what a particular song signifies. So here I am, having listened to New Order - Regret, Frou Frou - Let Go, Guns 'n' Roses - Sweet Child of Mine and Colin Hay - Overkill over and over but there's no one around who can figure out what it means.

No comments: