Thursday, October 26, 2006

I know this is going to sound incredibly whiny and self-absorbed but I'm tired of people buying me meals or drinks for my birthday. I haven't gotten a present in many years now and it's starting to get to me. I hear of people who get iPods from friends who have banded together to buy them that, or even just a pair of shoes or some item of clothing, and yes, while I acknowledge that I do appreciate their arranging to get me out for dinner, it's just that it feels so easy. I have come across things I thought friends would like and just bought it for them on a spur of the moment impulse, and I also concede that friendships aren't based on reciprocity, but damn it, no one has bought me anything other than lunch/dinner/drinks in eons. People don't grow out of receiving presents after all. And while I can definitely afford to buy myself stuff, it's just that I would like to feel that I'm appreciated, that a little more effort could be put into what's supposed to be my special day.

[/self-pitying rant]

No comments: