Friday, December 29, 2006

Before I went into university, there was this relationship advice web-site called Breakup Girl which consisted of an advice column and some awesome comics. It went offline for a while after that, but came back online two years ago or so. The site doesn't just give advice on break-ups, as you might surmise, but deals with relationships in general. Given recent circumstances, I naturally turned to BG to re-read the old comic when she's asked how to deal with a situation in which you've developed a crush on a friend. And in that comic, she advocates the same stance I took when I was considering my options - that friends you can be this honest with are hard to find, and if you let them know with no expectation of anything in return, it can be good, after you get over the initial awkwardness.

As for my case, we've been spending a lot of time together over the last few days just doing stuff, such as exploring the Botanic Gardens and chilling out at the second floor of Starbucks in Holland Village, easily my favourite spot in the whole of Singapore to chill (with the exception of having to drink the Starbucks coffee, not something I particularly enjoy). He'll be leaving in a few days time and I'm not particularly sure where this is headed, but for now, we're both just going with the flow, each of us having discarded our usual relationship rules for the moment. Sometimes, as my friend said, we just have to stop thinking so much, and enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments: