Sunday, September 09, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle has passed away at the age of 88.

I read her most acclaimed book, A Wrinkle in Time, in primary school as my Literature text. I'm not entirely sure I understood it back then (we didn't have Literature exams) but nevertheless, after that book, I began reading the rest of the books in the Time Quartet series. My favourite of all the books was Many Waters, a story about the Murry twins, Sandy and Dennys, set in Biblical times just before the great Flood.

I'll admit that from scientific and literary standpoints, Many Waters clearly isn't the best of the four books. What got me the most, however, was the usage of a verse from Song of Solomon 8:7 - "Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it." It became one of my favourite verses, and remains so, even today.

It's been years since I thought about those books, but I do recall that I was very fond of them, reading them over and over when I was still a teenager. Perhaps I was much younger back then, and hence, less demanding, but still, I would recommend her books to anyone, even adults.

No comments: