Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hakeem's Xpress Yo'self dance class is one of the most fun classes I've ever attended. I think a dance class ought to stretch you, by teaching you new moves and let you find your own style and personality. Not only does Hakeem manage to achieve both, but he is so full of energy and humour that the class never feels intimidating, even when you're doing the 'dance-off' most dance teachers do nowadays (i.e. splitting the class in half so that only half the class is dancing at any one time).

Last week, I was feeling rather distressed during the class and was wondering whether I'd attempted a level too hard for me, and also a little upset as there was no way I'd be able to go for a lower level as I couldn't leave work that early. This week, while I still didn't nail the routine, I was actually having fun, especially when I stopped focusing so hard on the people in front of me and just let my body do my own thing.

I'd always preferred social dancing, and I guess one reason is because I don't have to worry so hard about my hands and feet. Contrast this with solo dances, like hip hop and street jazz, which usually have both your hands and feet moving. I can usually do one or the other, but not both. However, in Hakeem's class, while I'm still having trouble during some parts, I'm not finding it as tough as I usually do. More to the point, I actually don't look too bad doing whatever facisimile it is that Hakeem's doing.

I'm almost upset that I'll be missing his class next week because I'll be on vacation. His class has been one of the things I look forward to every week because it helps relieve so much of the stress that I've been under. Some people find their happy place doing yoga... I think I've found mine Xpress'ing myself.

No comments: