Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It was with some enthusiasm that I went to see electro-rock band Does It Offend You, Yeah? perform at Rough Trade East yesterday evening. After all, Zouk brought them into Singapore to perform at ZoukOut and the band will be playing at a number of dance music festivals this summer.

Little did I imagine that the band's tunes would be just... noise. Like Muse but without the talent and skilful guitar playing. Just guitar distortion and fiddling with pedals and vocoders. To be fair, the band members were friendly and cheeky, but that didn't make up for the fact that they didn't really have much to offer. The only tune I liked was We Are Rockstars and perhaps that's only because I'm fairly certain I heard it being spun at Zouk once.

Perhaps the warning sign should have been when I noticed about 70% of the crowd was noticeably younger than I... and given that this is the UK after all, and Orientals tend to look younger than Caucasians, that means rather young indeed. Even DIOYY acknowledged this when they asked, "Is anyone here of voting age?" before going on to plead that those of us who could vote, should make sure that Boris Johnson does not become Mayor of London. Fair enough. I don't want him as the Mayor either.

In any case, I'm glad I went for the gig. I still enjoy small, intimate gigs far better than I enjoy large-scale concerts. Besides, it gave me the chance to discover that the band really is all hyped up, rather than my having to spend money to find that out!

No comments: