Monday, April 14, 2008

After briefly getting lost in spite of having a map on-hand, I made my way to Britain's First & Best Beigel Shop on Brick Lane to get dinner: a salt beef bagel. To my disappointment, all they had were plain bagels instead of my much-craved onion bagel. But I'd come too far to be denied, so I just had the salt beef with a little English mustard on a plain bagel.

Was it spectacular? No. Was it good? Meh. I'd say it was just average. I don't really get what's so great about the bagels sold by the two Brick Lane bagel places, to be quite honest, but the prices are certainly good (£2.60 for a crapload of beef), so I'll definitely drop by for a cheap eat whenever I'm in the area.

After I finished the salt beef (and being reminded of the similarities between English mustard and wasabi in the process), I walked to the neighbouring Beigel Bake to purchase an Eccles cake and an apple turnover (both 50p each). The Eccles cake was delightful when hot, the apple turnover not so much. I like my apple pastries sweet and tart at the same time, but the filling in Beigel Bake's apple turnover was just plain bland, same as the last time I tried it. To sum up, the Eccles cake is a definite repurchase, the apple turnover, not so much.

Still, in spite of that less than spectacular dining experience (which was still somewhat okay given my state of extreme hunger), I do so love Brick Lane. It's full of all these amazing shops where you can find anything and everything. And best of all, you won't break the bank (much) should you wish to indulge... particularly during the Sunday market sessions!

Then I wandered off to make my way home, and I had the strongest feeling that Chelsea and Wigan would draw, unlikely a result as that seemed at the time. As I mentioned to a friend the day before, I'm only prescient when it comes to football results, and, as it turned out, I was right. Go me!

No comments: