Friday, August 01, 2008

Oh my God! In spite of having gone to bed just over 24 hours ago and getting up about 3.5 hours later to go for a work-related meeting which was taking place out of town, I decided to go for AKA's 10th birthday celebration, which had a whole slew of renowned acts, including one of my favourite live acts, Basement Jaxx.

I had expected them to play much later given doors opened at 10 pm and promised to stay open till "very late". As it turned out, I got to the club at midnight, just as the Jaxx began DJing in the main room of The End. Lucky me!

So there I was, happily dancing away near the front of the DJ booth, with one or two minor nuisances as is usual with lone female clubbers. I'd noticed one half of the Jaxx - bespectacled Felix - looking my way every now and then but thought nothing of it, because I was quite certain you couldn't really see anything while up there. I just continued dancing, showing my immense pleasure when Samba Magic, my favourite of all of their tracks, came on as the penultimate tune of their set.

Imagine my complete surprise when, after their set was over and I'd finally plucked up the courage to tell Felix that I thought their set was wonderful after walking past him for the third time in 15 minutes, he asked me where I was from. He then walked off to the DJ booth to collect something, and on his return journey, which took him past where I was dancing, he asked me my name and introduced himself as Felix. It was a little surreal for me and, after he walked off, I continued dancing to The Shapeshifters' set but, every now and then, a broad grin would appear on my face.

After about another 20 minutes or so, Felix came by looking for something, told me he'd lost his friends and invited me for a drink. I thought, "what the heck" and followed him to AKA. It was my first time ever at AKA, which was very nicely decorated with snowflakes in line with the Narnia theme of the party, and my surprise and awe was quite evident, much to Felix's amusement.

We chatted for a bit about how I found London, how he found Singapore when the Jaxx played at Zouk ten years ago, and what kind of music I liked (with him telling me that I should give John Coltrane - My Favourite Things and Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda if I like Louis Armstrong). He mentioned he thought he'd drank way too much vodka (there was definitely a whole bottle of vodka which was consumed while he and Simon were DJing, that I noticed) and that he would be heading home soon, and that he'd see me around in London.

I ended up following him out because of the human traffic congestion on the stairs. Felix went in search of a smoke, asking two different groups for cigarettes before someone who obviously knew him tapped him on the shoulder to offer him one. This led to my being introduced to Femi B, provider of said cigarette. After the smoking was done, Felix and I walked to the cab office whereupon I bade him good night and good luck with the new album and made my way to the bus stop to catch my nightbus home.

And yes, you guessed it, I half-skipped, half-floated all the way home.

It was such an incredible thing to happen. I never thought I'd end up talking to one half of my favourite dance acts ever... and definitely nothing more meaningful than a "I love your music! When are you next playing?" kind of thing.

No comments: