Thursday, January 08, 2009

A number of friends have told me they're amazed at how brave and positive I am about what's happened.

The truth is, I'm not. I'm just like everyone else out there. I'm experiencing my fair share of anger and grumpiness, and the occasional teary-eyed moment (usually only when MD is around). However, I also recognise that I've got to suck it up and get on with my life because I cannot afford to slow down. My CV's been pulled together and I'm sending out job applications and getting out there and meeting people, all in the name of raising my profile so that I can seize the relevant opportunities when the job market picks up later this year.

That's 'when', not 'if'.

The other reason why I'm appearing so positive? Well, no one wants to deal with a whinger. And I've always been a strong believer in the adage that God helps those who help themselves. In other words, I've got to do everything I can. I've fought almost my entire career just to get here. I'm not going to let this send me packing. 

It's also good to have friends sending me their best wishes and telling me that they're sure I'll be able to find something here because of my skills and talents. I personally think they're seeing more in me than I've ever seen in myself, but hey, if they see it, maybe potential employers will see it too!

And face it, I can't afford not to be positive either. If I thought even for one second that it wasn't worth my being here, that it'll just be a serious drain on resources that could be better spent elsewhere, I might as well pack up and head back to Singapore right away. After all, I know far more people back home, as do my former managers, and I ought to be able to pick up a job far more quickly than here, even if it is in a field I'm trying to leave.

Could I be wrong? Of course I could be. But I'm confident that I'll look back on this and count this as one of the greatest accomplishments of my life. Not just getting a job, but just not giving up.

No comments: