Thursday, April 02, 2009

I'm not a big fan of Scandinavian food (I don't like smoked salmon, although I eat it fairly often owing to dietary constraints), but two things I can't fault them for are good desserts, and good coffee. I mean, the Finns consume the highest amount of coffee per capita, so they've got to know what constitutes good coffee.

Nordic Bakery
Date: April 1st
Cost: £4 (£2 for the cappuccino, £2 for the cinnamon roll)

I'd been craving a cinnamon roll for the longest time. The last time I had one was last summer. To my joy, there was a batch of rolls, fresh from the oven, just waiting for me when I entered at 5 pm.

And, baby, baby, was the wait worthwhile. The cappuccino complemented the sweetness of the sticky, gooey bun perfectly.

How can something so plain and ordinary-looking be so sinfully delicious?

Scandinavian Kitchen
Date: March 26th
Cost: £2.50

On my way to meet a friend, I dropped by the Scandinavian Kitchen to see if their famous kladdkaka (sticky chocolate cake, the Swedish version of the brownie) was available. Yes, it was. The server assured me that I wouldn't regret trying it, so, try it, I did. And it came with a huge dollop of whipped cream. I don't usually like cream, but this went very well indeed.

No comments: