Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sunday marked my maiden visit to Misato. I'm not sure why I've never been there, considering that it's definitely one of the more student-friendly places I've been to, and that all of my friends have eaten there at one time or another. Maybe it was just because there are so many other restaurants I preferred to eat that are around the vicinity... or that, as a student, I preferred to cook rather than eat out, even if my university was located very near Chinatown.

In any case, if you ever find yourself in Chinatown, and you only have a tenner to spare and you're incredibly sick of Chinese food (which can happen), then I'd strongly recommend you give Misato a try. I mean, just check out the portions that were served.

Tofu steak (£4.20, I think)

Katsu-don (£6 to £7)

Teriyaki chicken (less than £5)

There was more than enough rice, and I wasn't able to finish my teriyaki chicken, instead foisting four generously-sized pieces of chicken onto P.'s plate, who himself was not able to finish the pork and egg on his katsu-don. As for the taste, I found the teriyaki sauce a little too salty after a while (which is normal for me), and quite enjoyed the egg which accompanied the katsu-don.

The entire bill came up to £20 inclusive of two glasses of iced barley tea and service. I mean, seriously, given the size of the servings, this place is a bargain. No wonder there are queues out the door every time I've walked past. Sure, Misato is pretty much a no-frills Japanese canteen, but, at that price, really, one can have no complaints.

Meanwhile, on our way to the tube station, we came across this creepy little bugger.

Apparently, it's some sculpture which was erected in April 2009 and will remain up there for ten years. It's not terribly pretty if it's meant to be a reflection of Chinese culture, and I'll bet that there are plenty of drunks who have stumbled this way lateLink at night only to get completely freaked out.

I mean, look at it!

Another shot so that you can tell how big it is.


Misato
11 Wardour Street
London W1D 6PG
Tel: 020 7734 0808
Credit cards not accepted

No comments: