Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Today has most definitely not been a good day. Yes, it's been raining all day and getting very cold, but I could have tolerated that with my usual good cheer (or some degree of good cheer, even if it's not usual) but:

This morning, one of my dangly earrings, which I wear every day as it's my safest, nicest of earrings, broke. That was almost fine, as these pair had lasted me for over a year, so I figured I'd gotten good mileage out of them. Nevertheless, I was very fond of them. In any case, I needed to leave for work, so I put on another pair of earrings.

After work, I got all the way to my final destination on the train only to find that I had not taken my travelcard with me. Just the other day, I thought to myself that I had to make sure I had it on me at all times because I wouldn't be able to get another ticket refund, this being the second time I'd forgotten to take it with me. I'd been worried that this might happen as I was in a hurry to leave the office as I had to meet up with a friend.

This was still almost okay.

So I met up with my friend and we walked in the rain to - get this - a charity fund-raising singles night. Yes. That's right. We mingled with other people but didn't really find anyone extremely attention-grabbing.  That being said, I did think two Australian blokes were a little on the cute side and rather amusing, so I thought, why the heck not, I could give them my number, even if neither had asked for it. Except... they were friends, so I didn't feel too comfortable giving them both my number, so I ended up just giving the guy I ran into first my business card with my mobile written behind it. However, this Eastern European-looking girl who he clearly knew had come up to him and was chatting to him in a very familiar manner. She also looked incredibly fierce. Even before I passed him my card, she really seemed to be glaring at me. 

I shrugged. I didn't care. If it were my boyfriend, I'd be flattered that other people thought he was cute. And heck, the worst thing that could happen is that he wouldn't call. No biggie.

It did hit me about 15 minutes after I left the pub that I was absolutely and completely mortified that I'd done that. Freakin' A! I should just have used the "I would like to get to know" form they'd passed us in the beginning... although I did think it wouldn't be great as he probably wouldn't have any idea who I was the day after or what not.

Ugh. So pai seh.

But that's not the worst part. The worst part occurred at the beginning of the event, when I noticed that one of my earrings had gone missing. And this pair was a gift from a dear friend, and she'd given them to me just about a month ago, when I returned from Singapore. I know for a fact that the earrings were one-of-a-kind and I'm really gutted that one's gone missing and I'll never be able to replace it. I might turn the remaining one into a necklace but I haven't the faintest clue how to do that.

I really liked those earrings too. F***!

No comments: