Saturday, April 09, 2011

Huzzah for western-style decadence...

Which, coincidentally, was the pick-up line my university boyfriend claimed I used on him.

In any case, Friday.

Where should I start? Should I begin with the hangover from the Qype party and pub quiz the night before? I know it's Lent and I've given up weekday drinking and all, but it apparently morphed into a "I've given up weekday drinking unless the drinks are free" kind of Lenten promise. Strangely enough, I've had a lot of free drinks this Lenten season.

Should I add that I met some very lovely, friendly and incredibly hilarious people at that party as well? They turned out to be just as cool in person, which is not something you really get these days.

And before I could even think about recovering on Friday, I had a rather decadent business lunch at a swanky restaurant which started off with a glass of kir royale before descending into several glasses of wine and a cup of coffee on the rooftop terrace before swishing back to the office with my manager two hours later.

This was then followed by several cups of coffee and a free espresso martini on the first day of the London Coffee Festival. At £6 a ticket (if you use the discount code), it was so incredibly worth it.

To the surprise of absolutely everyone given my public hatred of Starbucks, I was later found at the Starbucks Reserve counter (the counter where apparently ultra rare coffees were being served up for free, with the Coffee Masters giving tasting tips) sampling the wares, and, I'll admit, talking coffee with the very very cute and passionate Coffee Master Dave (or, as I called him, Coffee Jedi Dave, in whom the Force is strong) for 15 minutes.

Rawr.

He's engaged though.

No, I didn't ask. It was mentioned in passing. But, hey, it's not like I was going to hit on him or anything. I did tell him he was very cute as I was leaving though, as, in my opinion, everyone loves a compliment, yes?

Plus, he was very passionate about coffee, and, there's just something about listening to someone's passion - no matter how disinterested or ignorant I am about the subject - that captivates me.

I was later told it looked as if I was having a nice conversation engaging him about coffee, as opposed to the guys who couldn't keep their eyes off the female Coffee Master (Mistress?) as they weren't saying very much.

See? There's an art to flirting and ogling after all.

I then made my way back to my flat where I - for the fifth day in a row - passed out on my comfortable sofa before waking up at 3 am to put myself into bed.

Ah, such is life.

No comments: