Saturday, April 02, 2011

I quit!

I resigned yesterday.

Sadly for my boss, it wasn't an April Fools' joke.

I really appreciate everything he's done for me, and finally realised he'd been grooming me (out of three of us) to take over from my manager in a few years, but, ultimately, now that the chance to make a career change has come about, I really owe it to myself to give this a shot, longer hours, more stress, longer commute and lower pay aside.

I was steeling myself to go up to my boss the whole day yesterday, when a friend - someone who doesn't know me at all well - asked me a simple question: A year from now, would you like to be in your current job or your new job?

I knew the answer to that straight off: my new job, of course. A year from now, if I were in my old job, and I was still as frustrated as I have been for the past four years, I'd have been kicking myself, wondering what could have been. On the other hand, if I'm struggling like heck in my new job - which I suspect will definitely happen - at least I will know that I have tried, that I had done my best, and that I knew.

And I can always return to my old sector. I've done it for so long that, even if I don't return at the level that I am now, it's still a decent fallback.

It's a gamble that's so worth the risk and can only enrich me no matter what happens.

And it is such a relief to have finally made a decision. It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: