Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Best Brownies in London

I have a major weakness when it comes to food, and that's baked goods. I love brownies, apple pies, cinnamon buns, bagels and freshly-baked bread. Suffice it to say that it's almost impossible for me to to go on a carb-free diet.

Over the past few years, I've been on the quest to find the perfect brownie. Well, on and off, as if I've been on it continually, my waistline would be much larger than it is today. As it is, I haven't escaped unscathed entirely, so... well, let's not go there, shall we?

Until yesterday, my top three brownies in London consisted of:
  1. Konditor & Cook's Boston Brownie, 
  2. Wild & Wood's brownie (sourced from Sally Clarke), and
  3. Flour Power City 
I'd tried others:
  • Bea's of Bloomsbury - very good
  • Paul A Young  - delicious but also way too rich to be eaten in one go
  • Choc Star  - good
  • Taylor Street Baristas - good
  • Department of Coffee and Social Affairs  - good but cheating slightly by combining it with cheesecake) 
  • Tricky Treats - I had the double chocolate brownie which was a tad dry but, to be fair, had probably been in the mail several days longer than intended thanks to the snow. Still, my office enjoyed them.
  • The Counter Cafe - rather dry
  • Leon - dry and a bit bland

But nothing really threatened my top three... until yesterday when I picked up a super moist brownie from Kaffeine.

I'd just suffered through a 20 minute queue at the post office and my friend crying off on drinks at the Ice Bar later that night and I I really needed something to pick me up.

And that brownie did more than that. It jumped straight into my top three. In fact, I think it's currently at the no. 2 spot. I'm sorry, but nothing can beat the incredible combination that is cranberries and chocolate, but, if we had to talk just pure chocolate brownies, then, yes, Kaffeine just might be the best one I've ever had.

Oh, and, of course, Kaffeine do a mean flat white as well. And the fonts they use are lovely. Later today, I'll be sampling their sandwiches given that they've just been awarded a gold star for being one of the top five independent sandwich bars in the UK.

No comments: