Saturday, October 26, 2002

Excerpt from a magazine article on why men remain sexually faithful to their partners: "Being Catholic, sleeping with my girlfriend is a big enough sin. Sleeping with her and with another girl would definitely guarantee me a place in hell."

It's good to know someone else feels the same way I feel!

I don't mean that quite the way it sounds (and boy does it sound baaaaad. It's just that.. according to the religion in which I've been born and raised, pre-marital sex is a huge no-no. But being the age that I am now, all brimming over with hormones (the ex's words, not mine), the temptation is, admittedly, very strong. Part of me wishes that I had slept with the ex before leaving, partly out of curiosity and mostly because I felt so much for him. At the same time, I knew it would be against my religion to do anything of that sort.

Do I think my religion is wrong on this particular aspect? I don't know. I am certainly not wise enough to be able to answer such a dangerous and sensitive question. I do, at times however, wish that I wasn't taught to behave in this particular way, when it seems so... contrary to what the rest of the world is doing. Sometimes, I feel like I've been born like ninety years too late, so conservative are my values.

Anyway, back to the point. Why did I empathise with that quote? Well, I know how much the temptation is when you're with someone you love, and I'm glad that there're other people out there, brought up the same way I was, who feel the same way - that what you're doing is wrong although so damned hard to resist. Also, that casual sleeping around just isn't the thing for me. I could never do that. I get too involved, too committed. Plus, if you know me even just a little bit, you'll know that nothing I do with regards to relationships is ever casual. I don't do things unless I mean them.

No comments: