Tuesday, November 18, 2003

A common adage goes, "You never really get over your first love."

I guess it must be true. I have been over my first boyfriend for a few years now, but upon learning that he seems to have gotten a girlfriend, I find that I'm feeling a little sad. It's a similar feeling to what Bridget Jones feels in Bridget Jones's Diary where she finds out that her ever-reliable ex-boyfriend is getting married and she's at a loss because she always thought that he would be there for her, single and available, kind of like her last resort should anything happen.

Not that I view my first love as someone who I'd run to if I ever need, say, a shag or a snog, or even a hug, just that whenever a non-platonic relationship ends, and turns into a "just friends" relationship, nothing much really changes until one of the pair gets attached. Then, suddenly, there are restrictions to what you can do, what you can say, which memories you can allude to, what personality traits and character defects you can bring up during a normal conversation. And it's the sudden imposing of limits that saddens me.

No comments: