Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Went out for dinner with my mentor and all of her mentees today. We ate at The Canteen by Les Amis, which is a really nice, somewhat affordable restaurant with delicious food. Despite the seeming lack of main courses - just one page of the menu - every one of the six dishes we ordered tasted fantastic! The desserts were freshly made and just as good as the main courses.

All in all, it was a rather different girls' night out. For one thing, my mentor has a lot of experience, having worked for my company for 30 years. She's more than twice my age, and loves roller-blading, skiing, wakeboarding and generally all these rather energetic activities which I don't feel that I can do. Another thing is that despite all the fun and laughter that was going around the table, there was this thought in the back of my mind - that I was having dinner with my colleagues, so watch what you say, watch what you do.

Sometimes I feel that I'm all together too paranoid, but perhaps, in a company like mine (which seems so very political at times), that it's better to err on the side of caution.

It would be nice to be able to show them the friendly, sparkling, vivavious person that I am capable of being though.

No comments: