Sunday, January 11, 2004

Unfortunately, despite being in the so-called enlightened age, females still aren't on a level playing field when it comes to the workforce. In the Guardian's article, It's a tough call: should you have to make it?, it highlights some of the issues that females face when starting out, most notably the fact that females tend to choose lower-paying, more flexible jobs than males do due to the fact that they realise that once they have a family, they're going to have to cut down on work.

That's something which I obviously didn't think about that much when choosing my job. However, my friends and I are now thinking about what happens if we want to start a family. It may be a long time from now but still, it's important to have everything planned out so that we know what we want to do and how we're going to go about doing it. I mean, I do have a desire to be featured in Fortune's Most Powerful Women in Business someday and having a family would definitely derail that particular dream. In fact, I'm almost content with not being involved with anyone right now, seeing as it's difficult enough trying to balance a social life, work and a gym regime. Add another thing to that equation, and it'll be impossible. If I made it a point to see a different friend every week - just one friend - do you know how many weeks that would take me just to catch up with all the people I haven't seen?

I mean, there're so many things I want to do before I turn 30. I want to get a Masters. I want to fully master another language. I want to travel. I want to have reached a respectable rank in my organisation. I want to have worked overseas. I want to keep on learning dancing. I want to have learnt roller-blading and ice-skating, and be participating regularly in sports (not just the gym). I want to have acquired my driving license before I turn 25 (in fact, I think I'll try for it this year).

If you look at all of this, where do you think I'll find the time to have a relationship with someone who I'll eventually settle down with? It's not that I desperately want to get married at this stage in my life. Just that looking ahead at my life, I'm not sure what path to take. I've always been of the opinion that nothing should take precedence over my career, the same way I would never have allowed love to take precedence over my education. It hasn't always worked out that way. I am inherently a social creature after all. But still, I am very practical and very goal-oriented. With the talents and skills that I have been blessed with, I think it would be a mortal sin not to make as much out of myself as I can.

To be continued later. Need to run now.

No comments: