Saturday, February 21, 2004

I'm not a romantic at heart. Or rather, I am, but when it comes to taking action and dispensing advice, I tend to be very rational and for lack of a better word, sensible, in that I give practical advice rather than the typical flowery words of wisdom people might expect to hear from me. Nevertheless, I'm well aware that when I'm involved in the situation, I'm not able to follow my own advice. Rather, I do all the stupid and silly things that I tell others to do their best not to do.

Given this, when I'm trying my best to help a friend out, I'm never quite sure what to tell them. Should I give them rational advice or should I tell them what I myself would do in that situation? Am I being a good friend in believing that I shouldn't tell them what they want to hear and not the logical conclusion? Or should I also tell them stuff like, "I think all it takes is time. Sooner or later, you two will be together" when I don't know whether that's the truth?

I do want to help my friends out. At the same time, I don't want to be considered as being cold and unfeeling, or "the practical one."

No comments: