Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Chicane's Saltwater, Underworld's Born Slippy and Faithless's Salva Mea are tunes which never fail to affect me profoundly whenever I hear them played. They have a very physical effect on me; I find it difficult to breathe, almost as if the sheer presence of the song is suffocating. Saltwater in particular turns me on very much. It's a very arousing song, with a fantastic climax. I'm not sure what would happen if they played it in a club and I was with someone I liked.

And I guess, that's why I like progressive and trance clubbing more than I do other kinds. The high I get from them is much more euphoric than any other high I get from other kinds of music. The high is kind of sporadic and unpredictable though. Sometimes the DJ's good and you get high and sometimes, he's just not.

For hip hop clubbing, on the other hand, I know for sure that I'll have a good time. I'll enjoy myself and it's all fun and sexy. But there's no such high to be obtained here.

Listening to live music... it's kind of like hip hop clubbing but not as strenuous. And on a night like tonight when I got to listen to Coldplay, Radiohead, U2 and Five For Fighting played live, as well as to The Cure and The Darkness and Coldplay some more during the break... it's terribly relaxing and soothing.

What on earth would I do without music?

No comments: