Saturday, June 26, 2004

I've just finished attending a Negotiating Skills Training course which was unexpectedly fun and enjoyable to attend although it confirmed what I had previously thought - that I have a long ways to go when it comes to being a good negotiator.

Among other things, I tend to compromise too easily and need to be more flexible and creative when it comes to trying to break deadlocks. I also tend to be a little naive at times, believing what the other party is telling me when it need not necessarily be the truth. Moreover, I need to be prepared to walk away from the deal if it really stinks. But first and foremost, I need to know what I want.

On the other hand, what is good about me is that I'm sincere, truthful, friendly and easy-going and do try to find alternatives in order to come to a deal. And that I've good analytical skills though if you ask me, I would say only when it comes to facts, figures and text, not with people.

One of the other participants told me that he found me an intelligent, friendly lady who'll have a long successful future in my organisation.

If other people see that and I don't, and I most certainly don't feel that way, then where along the way have I lost that particular thread of myself? It's true that while I was on course, I didn't feel the pressure of being in the office and worrying what others thought of me, so... is there a way I can apply that to my work?

No comments: