Friday, December 17, 2004

Okay, I've finished watching the season finale for The O.C. - The Ties That Bind. I had prior knowledge of what was going to happen but still, by the end of the show, I was crying. The ending montage was one of the saddest I've seen - and I've watched a lot of TV shows. I don't think I'd have cried if not for Kelly Rowan's (Kirsten) brilliant acting. Watching her break down as she was clearing up what used to be Ryan's bed did it for me... and I suspect for everyone else watching the show too.

Seth was a little annoying in this episode initially but by the end of the show, when he reveals just how much of an impact Ryan's arrival in Orange County has had on his life, and you can see just how badly he's hurting when Ryan goes to say bye... it's more than a little heartbreaking. Adam Brody's acting here is to be commended. You can see the hurt in subtle ways - like how his lips are pursed and how he's determinedly ignoring Ryan or indifferently throwing Ryan's gift on the bedside table. It's nicely done.

There are sweet moments in the show, like how Sandy (Peter Gallagher) is always assuring Ryan that they're his family and that they're always be there for him. And although you've heard that a lot throughout this season, it never once sounds trite.

I really liked the parallel they drew between Ryan's returning to Chino in the pilot and his going off with Theresa in the finale. Once again, it's the evening, Marissa is standing at the curbside, Ryan's in the passenger seat of the car driving past, and they lock eyes. As the car moves on, Ryan - and we - see Marissa washed over by the light of the setting sun. Again, nicely done.

Maybe I'm Amazed
(adapted from Paul McCartney's Maybe I'm Amazed)
sung by Jem
Music from The O.C. Mix 2

Maybe I'm amazed at the way you love me all the time
Maybe I'm afraid of the way I love you
Maybe I'm amazed at the way you pulled me out of time
And hung me on a line
Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you

Maybe I'm a girl
Maybe I'm a lonely girl who's in the middle of something
That she doesn't really understand
Maybe I'm a girl
Maybe you're the only man who could ever help me
Baby won't you help me understand

Maybe I'm a girl
Maybe I'm a lonely girl who's in the middle of something
That she doesn't really understand
Maybe I'm a girl
Maybe you're the only man who could ever help me
Baby won't you help me understand

Maybe I'm amazed at the way you're with me all the time
Maybe I'm afraid of the way I lead you
Maybe I'm amazed at the way you helped me sing my song
Right me when I'm wrong
Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you

Maybe I'm a girl
Maybe I'm a lonely girl who's in the middle of something
That she doesn't really understand
Maybe I'm a girl
Maybe you're the only man who could ever help me
Baby won't you help me understand

No comments: