Saturday, May 14, 2005

I went to Wala Wala last night to support my friend's band, Jon Doe, who was auditioning for an agent there. While his band wasn't as good as the resident bands, EIC and The Unexpected, still, you can see there's potential.

And because I've had a rather rough week, for my first drink entry charge, I decided to order 50 cl of Hoegaarden not knowing it was one-for-one during that time, meaning I'd have to drink 1 litre. So, up I went, clutching the huge glass in hand, and I went to join my friend who was there with his friend. Fortunately for me, he wasn't on a date, else that would have been awkward since I'd be feeling like a third wheel the whole night. Unfortunately for me, he had ordered one jug of Hoegaarden (two under the one-for-one) and he was determined to make sure both of us lovely and soon-to-be-drunk ladies would help him out.

So there I was, listening to EIC (with cute guitarist, Jack, and lead singer with nice voice, Rai, and guai lan guitarist, Gabriel, and drummer Joseph) play songs which I love to hear: Coldplay - Yellow, U2 - Vertigo, U2 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony, Counting Crows - Accidentally In Love, Smash Mouth - All Star and as a very special treat, Rai did a solo for Damien Rice - The Blower's Daughter, which is the most awesome love song ever for me right now... and yet, I was feeling down because of a myriad of things that've happened. There's the usual work stress, compounded with a touch of work burnout, with a dash of job-hunting and interview anxiety, and then there's the "I don't even want to think about it" more-than-social life. With all of that, I was vacillating between enjoying the music and feeling incredibly miserable in spite of the good company and the great ambiance.

But I managed to cheer up midway, thanks to my musician friend, who somehow managed to hook me up with two blind dates without my asking him to, nor did I actively object all that much. I think. So now, I'm supposed to meet a Frenchman and a cute local guy. So my straight guy friend says, which of course makes me exceedingly dubious about his judgement.

But by the end of the night, it didn't matter. I had imbibed over 1.5 l of beer, probably a record for me, was very close to falling asleep in spite of the fact I was bobbing along to the music and singing and all that, and between exiting Wala Wala at 1.45 am and getting out of the cab at my home at 2 am, I had developed a massive headache. I managed to call my friend to report my safe arrival home, brush my teeth and change, but somewhere around 3 am, I woke up with my head just throbbing and feeling rather nauseated. At least this time, despite my skipping of dinner, I managed to control it and not hurl.

I really should take better control of my drinking. But maybe when I'm 40.

No comments: