Friday, June 17, 2005

Basement Jaxx have been chosen to replace Kylie Minogue as the headlining act for Glastonbury, which takes place next weekend.

To those who had never witnessed the Jaxx spectacle live, it was a surprise
- but to those who had, it was clear Basement Jaxx would be the perfect
replacement. Canny enough to realise that watching two middle-aged blokes
shuffle about on stage twiddling knobs equals an hour of boredom for your
average punter, the pair enlist a cohort of performers, dancers and musicians to
turn a Basement Jaxx show into a proper performance. "This year we're bringing a
drummer, a percussionist, lots of singers - five or six, I think - and a brass
trio," says Ratcliffe. There were no complicated negotiations between Worthy
Farm and the Jaxx camp, adds Buxton. "They said: 'Do you want to move up the
bill?' and we said: 'Yeah'."


Indeed. Basement Jaxx, in my opinion, are one of the best live performers ever. And Glastonbury! It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience. So why am I stuck in the office doing incredibly meaningless, non-value-adding work?

And my brother is going to watch U2 tomorrow. There's just enough time for me to rush to the airport, purchase a ticket and grab the next flight to London and get there in time to watch it. If only I brought my passport out...

No comments: