Sunday, August 07, 2005

Agnelli & Nelson's set at Zouk last night has got to be one of the more surprising sets I've been to in recent times. I expected the night to be good, but not as good as I got.

I arrived around 1.30 am (A & N probably came on around 12.30, but I'm not sure) and spent the 1.5 hours or so ducking in and out of the main room because while they were spinning good trance, I just wasn't feeling it. I felt it was a little boring, to be quite honest. It was good to listen to (and also to make out to) but not great for dancing. I did recognise a couple of tunes like Armin van Buuren - Shivers, Young Parisians - Jump the Next Train and Reflekt - Need To Feel Loved but they just didn't do it for me.

Then a little after 3 am, A & N started playing harder trance (as in more thumping beats and faster tempo) played Paul van Dyk - The Other Side and things got way more interesting. I ended up dancing all over the place, managing to lose one earplug along the way (for the second time this year, damn it). Their style, as described by a friend of mine, could only be called 'festival trance', i.e. trance designed to excite... if that's the word for it! Oceanlab - Satellite and Agnelli & Nelson - Holding On To Nothing were dropped sometime after 4 am, if I'm not wrong.

At 5.30 am, A & N had yet to stop even once. They dropped Chicane - Autumn Tactics, the vocal from Fatboy Slim - Star 69 and then went straight into Paul van Dyk - For An Angel (a song I'm almost sick of) and then one of them (Agnelli, I think, the one on the left side of the picture in the Zouk flyer) stood on the console basking in our cheers and then jumped down to dance with all of us. After For An Angel finished, he went up to the ladies platform to dance making him the third guy I've seen there ever (after the dancing doctor and Lincoln himself).

Other tunes dropped during the last 45 minutes of the set included Delerium - Silence, something by Orbital, a breaklicious remix of Deep Dish - Say Hello, a tribal beats tune sampling Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way, a remix of Coldplay - God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (which, in my opinion, has got one of the sexiest guitar basslines around, and the remix isolated it for a really great buildup) and ended off with a chill-out remix of Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun. I couldn't identify the final encore which brought the set to an end at 6.30 am, but by then, I was all tired out, having completely exhausted the full store of energy I brought to dance floor.

All in all, once A & N got the crowd going towards the second half of their set, there was no turning back. It was a truly vocalicious set and I'm of the opinion that those of you who weren't there - even if you were off having a fantastic time somewhere else - really missed out on an awesome display.

Overall rating: 8.5 out of 10 - any DJ that comes down and dances with the crowd gets extra points.

No comments: