Friday, October 28, 2005

I'll be the first person to admit that I am a self-help sucker. I'll buy the books, I'll read the news articles, and I'll buy the magazines. Whether I manage to have time to read the books and then the energy to put them into practice is another thing all together.

And on that rather disgraceful note, I'm going to post a couple of career-related links.
  • Career sites: For sites dealing specifically with careers, I've found Vault.com and CareerJournal are repositories of useful information, even if both are rather US-centric.
  • The Motivating Power of Fear (New York Times): An article on how to make fear work for you, and not against you. It's rather coincidental I saw this today, given that I told an acquaintance just yesterday night that fears and phobias come with age. It's also good because I'm currently in a position where even though I'm looking for a change, I'm terrified at what that change would bring with it.
  • Tips For Training Your Boss To Be A Better Manager (CareerJournal): Another interesting article on how you can foster better relations with your boss so that both he/she and you will benefit. It's definitely a different perspective on the usual "I hate my boss but there's nothing to be done but tahan" viewpoint that most people espouse.

On a more light-hearted note, here're two articles on office romances: a general overview on office romances in the US and the Vault.com success story. Surprisingly, the majority of workers surveyed admitted to dating their co-workers at least once. To me, an office romance has always been out of the question given the repercussions if it doesn't work out. Admittedly, given the hours I work, I don't tend to meet that many people other than co-workers. Still... no. Office romances = bad idea.

No comments: