Thursday, March 16, 2006

Erlend Oye's DJ set at the Esplanade for the Mosaic Music Festival marked the first time I've ever been to an MMF event, in spite of my love for jazz music. When I arrived, Sonny from Zouk was warming up and while I don't usually like his sets at Zouk though I didn't mind the set he did at ZoukOut, yesterday night's warm-up wasn't too bad. Nicely minimal. It helped that the acoustics of the room meant that the music couldn't be heard clearly, as in some of the sound was muffled. And I don't mean that in a bad way. Everything sounded rather awesome in the unusual setting... which was delightfully smoke-free and mobile-free given that there was no reception whatsoever in the venue.

And although it was a weeknight, I ended up drinking four glasses of wine. To quote my friend, and the funniest thing I heard last night too, "why are you slamming wine?" when I downed half my wine after making him finish half his beer.

It was quite amusing watching the empty dance floor fill up just as Erlend stepped up to the turntables. He looked just adorable, the tall, skinny geek that he is. My friend said he looked like Napoleon Dynamite while I opined that another friend of ours, someone I went out with, looked like Erlend, so I guess that means my friend looks like N.D.. Oh dear.

While Erlend was supposed to play an eclectic house set, to me, it felt more like the Mambo of dance music and beyond, which was all right by me. The highlight of the night came when he played Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence, Basement Jaxx - Jus 1 Kiss and Daft Punk - One More Time in succession. And he sang over them too, which was very cool. I love all three of those songs so I went mad, naturally.

There were definitely some weird yet funny moments, like the time he played Berlin - Take My Breath Away, which I can definitely say came out the year I was born. And yeah, it may have been a Wednesday night, but still, that went beyond even Mambo. The graphics were weird and cool as well. They showed some photos of Northern Lights (which were absolutely beautiful and I just stood there captivated) and they showed some old video footage of Ultraman vs. some giant stingray. Ah, the memories.

Erlend ended off his set at 1.30 am and came down to dance with us happy party people. I was very high by then, as nicely illustrated by my sexy dancing with a table, but I strong-armed a friend of mine who's a huge fan of Erlend and frog-marched her over to where Erlend was dancing while another friend of mine went up to him and asked him to come over and dance with the friend who was far too shy to go near him. So he came over, hugged her and danced with her for a bit and when he let her go, she had the hugest grin on her face. Heh. I'm not sure if I would have done that with the force I used if I had been sober, but at least something good came out of my drunkenness this time.

No comments: