Friday, June 23, 2006

Check out Pitchfork's great feature on 100 Awesome Music Videos. It's quite a coincidence that I stumbled across this in the same week I commented on two songs which are featured on the first page and which I don't usually hear.

One of the songs is Air - Kelly Watch The Stars which I heard while waiting for Play on Earth to start. I hadn't heard that song since I last watched the music video in 2001. It strikes me as a little odd that I hear it five years later and then read about it in the music video feature. And yes, I remember the Pong sequence in the video. Very cute.

The other song is A-Ha - Take On Me which I heard on Wednesday night while eating at Miss Clarity Cafe. I really love the song. It has an unforgettable riff which just makes me want to dance like a typical white man. And when I say I love it, I mean I love it so much that I'd like to sing it at a karaoke lounge.

As an aside, let me just say that being at the cafe that night was like being at Mambo Jambo but without going to Zouk. Almost every song that was played was something that would undoubtedly fit at Mambo, and when they played Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up, we knew it was time to go.

I've definitely been getting into '80s music recently. I'm starting to listen to Journey, a band which I'd not heard of until I watched The O.C. strangely enough. My current favourite of the moment is Faithfully, another song with a memorable keyboard riff... if I'm getting my instruments correct!

Another '80s band I started listening to after returning from England a few years ago is Depeche Mode. The thing is, I used to dislike them because my brother would insist on playing their greatest hits CD over and over and over again until I got really sick of Just Can't Get Enough. Then after a couple of years of growing up and discovering new music in London, I came back and lo and behold, I now find Dave Gahan's voice incredibly sexy.

Anyway, I'll end this off with one of my favourite music videos of all time is definitely Blur - Coffee and TV. I love the milk carton. Who wouldn't? His expressions are hilarious. In fact, he's got his very own web site!

No comments: