Sunday, June 04, 2006

Seeing as my last post was somewhat Cuba-related (even if the people behind it are really British)...

The Cuban Film Showcase has just kicked off at The Picturehouse. The three films in the showcase are Soy Cuba (I am Cuba), Lucia and Fresa y chocolate aka Strawberry & Chocolate. As part of the showcase, there'll also be sessions on how to speak like a Cuban and how to drink like a Cuban. If I'm not wrong, sessions on how to dance like a Cuban were held over this weekend. Check The Picturehouse's site for more details.

On a movie-related note, I've watched quite a few good foreign films so far this year, namely, 36 Quai des Orfèvres (France), Les Aimants (Canada), Smala Susie (Sweden), Adam's Apples (Denmark), C.R.A.Z.Y. (Canada) and Chinese Restaurants: Beyond Frontiers (Canada). I haven't had the time yet to write down what I thought about them. I could attempt to do a quick, concise review of each of them, but again, I haven't had the time to think it through, nor do I think it would do each of the movies justice as to just how much I enjoyed them.

Of course, my liking of foreign films prompted a guy who I was interested in earlier this year (but who has, sadly, chosen to go after someone else) to ask me if I ever watched any films in English. I hadn't realised until then just how few English films I'd managed to watch this year, but I suppose if you count the ones I catch on television, then they just about balance out.

So what's the next film I'm interested in catching? Other than the films in the Cuban Showcase, it'll either be 8 Femmes (France) at the Alliance Francaise on 20 June, or Pirates of the Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest. I don't usually like Johnny Depp, but he made me laugh an awful lot in the first movie. There really are too few good movies that are coming out this year. Or maybe I'm getting older and more demanding. That could be it.

No comments: