Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Coldplay concert was one heck of a visual spectacular. The group made good use of the giant screen above the stage and while some of their theatrics were a little odd (like the time Chris Martin was staring at himself in the giant screen), other parts were unbelievable, such as when Yellow came on, and giant yellow balls filled with confetti bounced from the back of the stadium. My favourite effect of the night was when they projected words onto the walls of the stadium during Swallowed in the Sea, the first song of their three song encore. There was just something incredibly mesmerising and soothing about both the visuals and the song.

They played all the songs I love - The Scientist, God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, Clocks, Yellow, Fix You, In My Place - and they sounded awesome live. There's just something about the guitar intro for Yellow which I love and makes my day just that much better. The last time Coldplay was here was in 2001, when they shared the stage with Travis. I went to that concert for one purpose and one purpose only: to listen to them play Yellow. That's how much I love that song. My voice was already hoarse from the cheering for Italy and my screaming and singing along to those songs most definitely killed my voice for the remainder of the week.

I will admit, however, that my enjoyment of the show was a little marred by how tired I was. When I'm tired, some things get to me more than they should, and in this particular instance, that was definitely something I was trying not to think about. During the parts of the show when the energy flagged and I was no longer distracted by the music, I felt as if I was drowning. I did my best to push those feelings aside, but it was really only until the intro of In My Place started that I just closed my eyes and surrendered myself to the relaxing tranquility of that tune. And of course, Fix You was just what I needed at that point in time. That, and a friend who noticed that something was disturbing me, and did what he could without asking any questions. Thanks for that, and also for taking the photos.

Alas, while the concert was a great show, it wasn't that great a concert. Yes, the band are incredible live. However, I found them a little aloof and well... cold (no pun intended). The last time they were here, Chris spoke a lot more with the crowd. Yes, they have a much more sophisticated and polished sound now, but when I go to a concert, I prefer it to have more of an interactive element.

Still, Coldplay remains one of my three favourite bands in the world, and I don't regret going to see them even though I was surviving on two hours of sleep and did some damage to my voice the week of a big presentation.

Check out Coldplaying for more reviews of the concert.

No comments: