Monday, July 17, 2006

I went to Baybeats yesterday to catch Concave Scream even though I had only five hours of sleep, was still a little sick from the previous week, and the night was incredibly humid. I'd been meaning to catch the band for some time now and even though they've played a couple of gigs before this, I'd never quite managed to muster up the strength and enthusiasm to go see them. Yesterday, however, I just felt this urge to do something different, and to do it by myself for a change. I succeeded in the former, not quite in the latter (as I found a friend who wanted to see them too).

Concave Scream was definitely a good band to catch. They reminded me of the Smashing Pumpkins off Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. The band opened their six song set (half an hour is just too short) with Caged, and followed up with songs from their most recent album, Horizons, such as Nobody. I tend to love guitar-driven music (and that's really the best way I can describe the sound I like) and hence, liked the sound of Caged seeing as it's loud, dramatic and a little angry. The other songs they played (their newer stuff) felt a little more reflective, which is when I felt their resemblence to the Pumpkins was the strongest.

To sum up the rest of the night, I caught a couple of the bands that were on after them as well, such as Electrico (which I used to like, but not anymore, because I feel their sound is a little, well, generic), Astreal (Ginette plays a mean guitar although I can't make out half the words she's singing) and the Posies (who reminded me of R.E.M, but weren't as good, and got a little boring after a while).

I'm currently listening to Sparklehorse, a band recommended to me by a colleague after I introduced him to Stars. I'm not quite sure what to make of them, to be quite honest. I'm up to Hey, Joe on Good Morning Spider and their sound has varied quite a bit from the first track (Pig) on the album. It's an interesting listen for sure.

No comments: