Sunday, September 10, 2006

As an aside on K., K. is an American-born Chinese. He and I used to work for the same company. We met about 3.5 years ago as part of our work. He and I are the same age, and we get on really well. He sings amazingly well, can sound exactly like Louis Armstrong, and has a "big black booty to go with [his] big black voice." This last fact emerged when he was sharing a cab with a couple of us one day and we found ourselves a little more squashed than expected. Anyway, I think he's cool, and he happens to think the same way about me.

The thing is - and you've probably guessed by now - I have had a crush on him ever since the day we met. I've not done anything about it so far because we work in different countries. We e-mail each other regularly and occasionally talk about our respective relationship situations. A friend of mine who I went with to Hong Kong last year commented that she thought he and I would make a pretty good couple after observing how we interacted last year.

But again, the problem remains: He works in Hong Kong, I work in Singapore, and we both don't go to the other person's country at all. And quite frankly, even if we were to work in the same country, I don't think I'd ever do anything, because we've been friends for a while now. I wouldn't want to jeopardise our friendship.

Sometimes, it seems that one of the problems I face vis-a-vis relationships is that the guys I meet who I may have a chance of having a relationship with are based overseas. It does suck, and when I said that I felt the perfect relationship would be a long-distance one, I was only partly joking. K. is most definitely one of the guys I had in mind when I said that. As for the other, that has even less of a chance of materialising than anything with K does.

Oh well.

No comments: