Monday, December 25, 2006

I have a date tomorrow. At least, I thought it was a date. Because the two of us have grown rather tired of all the restaurant food we've been eating over the last few days, we are now going for what could potentially be a romantic dinner at a hawker centre.

Given the usual problems I have figuring out when a date is a date, and when it's just meeting up with a friend, this new development, of course, isn't helping me much. Especially if you consider the fact that one of the reasons I'm sick of all the heavy food is because I've been out for three dinner dates over the last four nights, although tomorrow's 'date' is the one that I've been looking forward to for some time now.

My only consolation is that he said we'd go somewhere nice for dessert later, but that doesn't help me very much, because I haven't the faintest idea how to dress. I'm on leave this week, so I won't have the excuse to turn up in work clothes, and now, if we're eating at a hawker centre, I obviously can't go even partly glam'd up as I usually do when I know it's a date.

Why is this such a big deal to me? Because my date? He's a friend. And part of me wants to make clear to him that this, irrespective of the location, is a date to me. And because my friend works overseas, another part of me just wonders what the point of even doing that would be.

It's always the eternal question, isn't it? Carpe diem, regardless of the probabilities? Or just choose the safe route?

No comments: