Monday, February 12, 2007

I was at Timbre again on Saturday. That makes it my second time in two weeks. I am really liking the place even though it's a little on the hot side, and every time I'm there, I'm so exhausted, I fall asleep after having a few drinks. EIC was the band featured for this particular Shuffle Saturday, and as mentioned, I really enjoy their music because they play the kind of rock I'm never tired of listening to, which in this case, included some Red Hot Chili Peppers and most especially, U2 - Stay (Faraway! So Close), the song which will be my main reason and excuse for seeing U2 once again.

In addition to the great music and al fresco ambience, Timbre's pizzas are fantastic. My friend, not having eaten dinner in spite of it already being 10 pm, ordered a shrimp and mussel pizza, something I felt was too odd to taste good. Imagine my surprise when twenty minutes after the food had arrived, I had finished half of his pizza in spite of having eaten mee goreng for dinner two hours earlier.

After that, I adjourned to Zouk for Aldrin's ONE. I got there around 1 am, and was alone until close to 2.30 am when I finally spotted some friends, most notably via the piercing whistle of a certain Zouk member. Aldrin was spinning some pretty good tunes although I have to confess that while listening, and not dancing, I fell asleep a couple more times. Work-induced sleep deprivation, you understand. This being Aldrin's last ONE as a full-time resident of Zouk, he wasn't going to be allowed to leave all that early, and in the end, he played until 6 to 6.30 am whereupon he finally walked sheepishly out of the DJ booth, and out to where we, the die-hard Zoukers and lone Zoukette, were waiting for him. After all the calls for "one more!" I told him that he might not ever want to call his residency ONE ever again.

Aldrin, in addition to being one of the electronic music pioneers in Singapore, is also most definitely one of the nicest guys on the scene. He's responsible for my getting a membership, though as some have pointed out, for a period of time, I was at Zouk every weekend, until the DJ's set ended, so I most likely would have obtained it sooner or later, but hey, he helped me get it that much faster, so for that, I'm eternally grateful. That notwithstanding, on nights when he's not spinning, Aldrin can sometimes be found on the dance floor with the rest of us and that's not something I've seen many other DJs do.

So, all the best, Aldrin! Zouk won't be the same without you.

No comments: