Thursday, February 08, 2007

I've been so busy that I've been swept off my feet the last few days. But today, man, today was a day of rather epic revelations. There's some restructuring going on at the senior levels of my team, which is both good and bad.

Good, because the amount of seniors we had in my team was, admittedly, one reason why I wanted to move out of Singapore. I wanted something which offered me a higher probability of career advancement. It's hard to move up when there's no room for you at the top.

Bad, because, well, the sheer amount of work that will need to be taken care of in the interim... some of it will definitely fall on my shoulders, and after months, or even years of stepping up my game, there's only so much more that can be stepped up.

As a learned, wise - and ultimately, trusted - colleague puts it, there'll be plenty of opportunities now within Singapore. It's just a matter of figuring out whether I want to take them. Because, if I said I wanted something, I'd have a good chance of getting it.

In fact, one of the seniors who'll be moving on? She asked me to consider if I'd like to move on to what's she doing in the near future, and dangled the prospect of travel as an incentive. While it's tempting, the thing is that I'll still be based here, and travel will be around South-East Asia. And I admit, I love to travel, although I think it's more the prospect of working on the non-domestic market which appeals to me more for any one position. But SEA? When I've set my sights on London and New York for so long?

I don't know whether London or New York is achievable; I would certainly like to think it is, given my calibre. At the same time, I'm wondering whether I should sit down, and seriously consider just settling. After all, the SEA market is definitely more interesting than just the Singapore market.

I just don't know.

I'm not one to settle, but I am getting older, and it's taking longer to recover from the long hours that I've been putting in.

I really wish I could speak to someone just so I can clear my thoughts. I really don't know.

No comments: