Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Fay Grim was a funny, entertaining, if over-long and overly convoluted show. The friends I watched it with thought it was a good show, but it left me feeling a little underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it was funny and offbeat, but the moment the show got into the espionage plot, it began to get rather bogged down and tedious to watch. I felt as if there was too little information to actually follow what was going on - people appearing out of nowhere and turning out to be spies for some random government, Fay apparently giving the right response to a question when all it sounded like was a regurgitation of what the questioner had just said, and other such moments - and that just got to me. It's the same feeling I got when I watched Ocean's Thirteen. Far too complicated to be enjoyable, and in fact, mildly irritating.

I would still recommend it, especially to people who don't have the bad habit of over-thinking and over-analysing everything, and I suppose if you're a Hal Hartley or Parker Posey fan, then this is definitely a must-see. Incidentally, Parker Posey does look amazingly great in this show, and her breathy voice, though annoying after a while, is pretty attractive.

At this point, I'm willing to bet you haven't seen something peppered with this many negatives and still receive a recommendation. I'm contrary like that.

No comments: