Thursday, March 20, 2008

Highlights from the inaugural Total Films & Sky Movies Red Carpet Preview (which, incidentally, was poorly organised, and had misleading publicity beforehand, but that's another story):
  • Guillermo del Toro: "Success, to me, is f***ing up on your own terms."
  • del Toro (on being asked whether The Orphanage scared him): "No, it's just like showing c***s to a gynaecologist. You get used to it. Although there are shows out there which have made me s*** my pants."
  • Getting to watch trailers of The Incredible Hulk (which I am still tempted to watch even though I hated the previous instalment just because it's Edward Norton), The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, Hellboy (the monsters resemble those of Pan's Labyrinth, which I really liked) and The Dark Knight. The last was especially poignant because of Heath Ledger's untimely demise. It sure looks as if he succeeded in making the role of The Joker his own, which is no mean feat considering he would always be compared against Jack Nicholson.
  • Getting to watch two clips from WALL•E (trailer), Pixar's summer offering for 2008. Andrew Stanton, in his introductory address, told the audience he hoped we would fall in love with the robot and the film. He certainly succeeded with me; in the span of two five-minute clips, not only did I fall in love with WALL•E, I marvelled at how expressive his eyes were, managing to convey sadness, distress and wonder. As usual, Pixar has done a brilliant job, and I simply cannot wait for the film to come out.
  • Ralf Little, star of the upcoming Waiting Room, poking fun at Flashback of a Fool (starring Daniel Craig): "The new Bond film's really dull. I mean, cor, I always knew he had a dodgy past, but what the heck!"

No comments: